make your own rubber stamps from vegetables
Green stamping is just like rubber stamping.
The only difference is that instead of using rubber stamps, we use green vegetables.
Here are some veggie cards made from veggie stamps.
I was making a batch of 'kimchi' (Korean pickled vegetables)
and when I sliced off the head of the Chinese cabbage,
I thought what a nice design for my cards.
So for the next cabbage, I made a bigger slice, about an inch from the top.
This gives me a better grip for holding the head when I stamp.
Here's what a Chinese cabbage looks like.
Card Making Supplies Used
- Head of Chinese cabbage
- Ink pads (I used Pink, Red, and Lilac color pigment inks and also Autumn Rainbow color dye ink)
- glitter glues
- kitchen tissue
- words stamp
- black ink pad
- white card stock
Card Making Instructions
- Cut the head about an inch from the top of the Chinese cabbage.
- Place the cut part on some kitchen tissues and let it dry for half an hour. (If the head is not dry enough, the ink will be diluted and the stamped image will not be sharp. Refer the picture below - the cabbage head is still quite wet when I stamped.)
- Take the lilac ink pad and dab on the edges of the head.
- Next dab the pink and then the red in the center.
- Turn it and place on the card stock and press. Do not press too hard or you will wet the card stock and the image will be watery.
- Ink words stamp with black ink and stamp.
- Put aside to dry.
- Apply glitter glue on edges of design.
Here are the cards.
Note: Just click on the image to view a bigger and clearer picture of the cards shown here.
You will notice that I also used other colored ink pads.
And I also decorated some envelopes with the same stamp.
Notice the cabbage in the two pictures below. The one with the stamped cards has still got quite a lot of moisture in it.
Where as the one by itself was taken a day after. Notice that the leaves have dried out and are more separated.
Actually, when we were very young, I think I was in primary school that time, we were taught to use potatoes to stamp and make arts.
I hope you will try green stamping one day. It's quite fun and one cabbage head can make quite a lot of cards.
You can also use other kind of vegetables to make veggie stamps. And why not use fruit too.
I believe you will have lots of ideas in your head after seeing this page on green stamping.
Let's be creative! Think out of the box and see what we can use for card making besides rubber stamps. Have fun!
Celebrating Creativity! Connecting Lives!
~ bringing cheer one card at a time.